Saturday 6 June 2009

Watershed Live in London : a large slice of home

Watershed have long been one of my favorite bands, and certainly the one band I have always made a concerted effort to see live. (... actually the only band I have made the effort to see live...)

And so on Friday I saw them live for the third time, and oddly enough for the second time in London.

I knew about this concert a few months ago, and had my ticket booked a while back. And so donning my Watershed t-shirt I travelled to Kentish Town.


WOW!
It is not often that this straight laced, sometimes DULL, accountant climbs out of his shell and just lets loose - but it always happens when I see these guys live. At one point I even had someone next to me enquire if I was their biggest fan... I guess I might have been embarassing myself! But who cares...

I had seen them perform all the songs in December when I saw them in Johannesburg, but every show you attend is different, unique, and the guys come up with fantastic new ways of presenting their songs, always changing arrangements, timing, instrumentation. Taking their music to a brand new place every time you see them - you can never see the same show twice.

The arrangement of "Down to the Water" was amazing, and of course "Indigo Girl" brought the house down, with the guitar solo being a massive favorite.


The turn out was not huge, and certainly I am sure the band would have enjoyed having many more people in the crowd. But it didn't deter them and they deliverede an amazing performance which just left you wanting more.

This concert represented the start of their European tour, and I am sorely tempted to try and catch them at one of their shows on the Continent.

3 comments:

  1. Don't they do a version of Southern Cross? I love that song! Pity - I never knew they were playing in London. Then again, there isn't much that would drag me away from home at night these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do a fantastic version - and they played it on Friday.

    Now why wouldn't Craig and the boys be able to drag you out from home? Friday was drizzling "slightly".... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to agree these guys are one of our favourite live gigs, we have probably seen a little too much of them, if that's possible

    ReplyDelete