Sunday 28 June 2009

Biggin Hill Air Fair 2009

This is becoming a bit of a tradition for me now. Today I went off to my third Biggin Hill air fair, in Kent.

The weather was exceptionally kind to the organisers. It was very warm, but a layer of cloud held the fiercest heat at bay for the day. Around 60,000 people were rumoured to be present today, and it certainly felt much busier than previous years.

But what a show those 60,000 visitors were in for!
Despite a few technical problems preventing some planes from taking off (most notably the Avro Vulcan which flew on Saturday, but couldn't fly on Sunday) the other displays were magnificent.

The wing walkers were once more there, with a breathtaking display of amazing strength and agility.
The Eurofighter Typhoon blasted just about the whole county with unbelievable power and sheer noise, and the highlight (amongst MANY) was the special fly past celebrating 25 years of Virgin Atlantic.

I managed to take 1,273 photographs in the course of the day, and rather than try to decide which to upload, I put together a montage of my favourites below. I hope you enjoy the taste of Biggin 2009.



6 comments:

  1. Hey Mike! Awesome shots! I particularly like your last on the montage. Well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an incredible shot, don't you think? I had to have it in there at the end. I am seriously considering having that one block mounted, because (even if I have to say so myself) I think it is awesome.
    I am glad you enjoyed it though.... That's just 4 minutes out of 5 hours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Mike, thanks so much. Brilliant shots, I really hope to be there for it next year.

    Flipping amazing............

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome shots! I like the music too.

    I lived in Westerham which is next to Biggin Hill when I arrived in the UK two years ago. It's a lovely area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Westerham is a great looking area, though not lived anywhere near it before.
    I have flown over it though, as I used to take flying lessons out of Biggin, hence I have a particular fondness for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... not sure if I'd live there again though. Lots of snooty, unfriendly people. Westerham is the most unfriendly village I have encountered in UK yet.

    ReplyDelete