Wednesday 24 June 2009

Evening out on Centre Court

The brilliant thing about Summer in England is that the sun is up so very late in the evening. This means that even if you arrive at Wimbledon after work, you are likely to see a good amount of tennis.

This evening I stood with 16,000 of my closest friends in an 80 minute queue (which I swear was at least a mile long!) waiting to get in to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships. They have reduced price entry after 5pm, so I popped down after work.


Then I managed to get myself a ticket for Centre Court and spent the next two hours watching a mens singles game between Marin Cillic and Sam Querry. The game was competitive, and even though there was a less than capacity crowd in, they remained passioante and boisterous, even starting a Mexican Wave in the middle of the fifth set, and cheering loudly every time members of the royal Box also stood to join in the wave.


The game ended just before 9pm, and even at that time there was no question about there being sufficient light to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment