Saturday 1 August 2009

The Wild Life in London

Despite there having been several complaints recently about the weather, the lack of Sun, the end of "Summer" and it starting to rain once more, Friday evening was a fantastically sunny evening, and even the call to the gym had to be ignored. I took myself rather into Central London just to mosey around and explore.

I ended up enjoying a fantastic evening in the company of some Inner City Wildlife.


From Westminster tube I strolled past Parliament and through the grounds of Westminster Abbey, with the massive stone buttresses towering above me. From there I walked past the Methodist Hall towards Horse Guards, passing the the Cabinet War Rooms, the back of Downing street and the Bali Bombing memorial. Just then St James's Park caught my attention and I went to explore...

I was amazed at the amazing wild life I found, and how people and animals were just kicking back and enjoying a fantastic summery evening in the shadow of Central London's most well known buildings.

Apparently someone had gone and stolen either the map for where the nuts had been buried, or the nuts themselves, as every squirrel on display seemed to be lost in the task of digging and then digging some more in search of some kind of nut product. A few had taken it upon themselves to beg from the passers by, using no more than cute looks as bait to unwitting humans. While taking photos one even came right up to me for a closer look, placing a small paw on my know to get close enough to ensure that I had no hidden food that I was keeping back.

Having enjoyed the little squirrel performance, I walked around the lake and took in the mass of bird life, all starting to get ready to settle down for the evening. A final bath, a quick paddle or simply paddling across the lake, there seemed to be masses of birds of all varieties.

And every so often this panorama of wild life had a fantastic backdrop - either Buckingham Palace or Horse Guards Parade or even the London Eye.

It really is amazing how much there is to see and explore right in the middle of London, and by no means is it just a stony, cold concrete city with no personality. London invites you in, you just need to listen out for the invitation.

1 comment:

  1. I find it easy to ignore the call to gym, no matter what the weather is like. It looks like you had a fab walk - I love those last two photos.

    ReplyDelete