Sunday 12 July 2009

Getting Steamed Up in Hampshire

It is one of the amazing things about London that you can travel less than an hour down the road, and transport yourself back in time by decades...

Today I took myself south from London toward Southampton, but stopped at Alton, a small Hampshire town, and took in the Mid Hants Railway - more commonly known as the Watercress Line)

Running between the towns of Alton and Alresford, this Heritage Railway gives you a taste of what the mighty era of steam must have been like, as it muscles its way through 10 miles of beautiful Hampshire countryside, all the while chugging to the harmony of the steam engine.

Today the engine on duty was the Lord Nelson, a restored Southern 4-6-0 E850. And what a beautiful site she was (Trains are female - even the great Lord Nelson in this instance...)

I managed to catch the train both at Alton and then arriving at Alresford. The power, majesty and presence of the machine, originally built in 1926, is just awesome.


If you are in Hampshire, and in fact, even if you are not, a ride on the Watercress line is well worth making the effort for.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely! I love trains and this looks like a treat! I grew up in Rainhill near Liverpool where Stephenson's Rocket competed in the Rainhill Trials in 1829.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole steam era, not only the trains, but the association with the Industrial revolution.

    I have only been to Rainhill once, but never managed to see anything relating to thr Trials... As much as I would have liked to.

    ReplyDelete